• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The End of the Affair - Does fashion care anymore about creativity? (NYT)

DosViolines

far from home...
Reaction score
source: nytimes.com

September 7, 2006
Critic’s Notebook
The End of the Affair

By CATHY HORYN

IT’S astonishing when a fashion star becomes a bystander, a shadow.

“Oh, it’s you.”

Startled, this is what you say, all you can think to say, when you encounter a Displaced Fashion Person at a glamorous industry party, your sense of shame manifest in the little jerk of surprise his head makes.

Well, it happens. Fame lasts for no one.

But when the roster of DFP’s includes Tom Ford, Helmut Lang, Jil Sander, Miguel Adrover, Phoebe Philo (late of Chloé) and Olivier Theyskens, who was recently cut loose from the Paris house Rochas by its corporate parent, Procter & Gamble, you have to think that something more than Darwinian theory is at work.

These were — are — great designers. They changed the way we dressed. And I don’t mean load-bearing fashionistas, pillars of Frenchy chic and obscure fads. I mean you. Mr. Theyskens’s extreme shapes for Rochas, however ugly duckling they looked at first, set in motion the trend for dressy fashion, and makers of midprice suits can thank him as well for helping to put the kibosh on casual Fridays. Ms. Philo established Chloé as a stylish baseline, the Chanel of her generation. Mr. Lang gave men a sleek, fashionable uniform that still retained a masculine roughness. And Mr. Ford did more than make sexy fashion: he made fashion a sexy topic.

As another runway season begins with New York Fashion Week tomorrow, a tide seems to have turned against designers and even perhaps against talent. To be sure, we writers are notoriously uneven when it comes to predicting fashion’s demise. We’ve got it wrong so many times that reparations seem in order for all the trellises we’ve collapsed. Fashion has never touched more lives than it does at the moment, and by so many different means — reality television shows like “Project Runway,” Web sites and blogs, corporate sponsorships (like those that underwrite many of the shows in Bryant Park), design competitions and international trade fairs.

A sufficiently motivated individual could find a Fashion Week on virtually every continent except Antarctica. As Julie Gilhart, the fashion director of Barneys New York, said from her office, where boxes of unsolicited designs wait for her review, “We’ve opened the floodgates.”

Yet the busyness and excitement surrounding fashion are not proof of any genius, only of a talent for seizing opportunity. In point of fact, some very gifted designers are idle, and at relatively young ages. Ms. Philo was 31 when she left Chloé last year to spend more time with her family. Other designers’ reasons are as varied as they are familiar. (Businesses were sold, financial backers disappeared.)

What feels less familiar is the lack of interest in the talent they represent — for skillful cutting, a refined color sense or for communicating emotion. These gifts, along with a strong sense of identity, are probably a designer’s most valuable assets. Yet lately they have been devalued, like an out-of-date sweater, as much by a jangling, “what do I get out of it” culture as by a greediness and mistrust that seem to exist between designers and corporate owners.

Far from landing smoothly on his feet, Mr. Theyskens may have trouble getting a job or, at any rate, one that allows him the creative freedom he had at Rochas. As it is, the top houses are well fixed for talent, and there’s no rush to invest in new ventures, one clue being the apparent reluctance of LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton to give Hedi Slimane, its Dior men’s designer, his own women’s label. Wherever Mr. Theyskens goes — speculation favors Nina Ricci — his new boss will probably approve of artistry, in principle.

But if he is like any number of chief executives in Paris these days — the exasperation breaking through the polished surface — he will want clothes that sell. As Ralph Toledano, the chief executive of Chloé, said, referring to the popular strategy of creating runway drama in order to sell bread-and-butter purses: “The problem is that formula has a real limit, and we’ve reached the limit. At the end of the day, our garment must be sold. It can’t just create drama among 500 people, including you and me.”

Mr. Ford has plans for a new men’s line, along with other products. He may well be successful, given his track record at Gucci, but fashion, like Hollywood, isn’t producing blockbusters the way it once did.

Until two or three years ago, executives at publicly traded luxury-goods companies were willing to have their faith in creativity tested by designers, few more so than Bernard Arnault, the chairman of LVMH, who seems to relish the risk-taking of his top impresarios, the couturier John Galliano of Dior and Marc Jacobs of Vuitton. Other executives insist that nothing has changed, despite heavy business pressures.

“You need the most outstanding talent possible,” Robert Polet, the chief executive of Gucci Group, said, adding that the worst things for a brand were “complacency, a lack of consistency and becoming too greedy as well.” At the same time, he suggested it would be a mistake to start coddling a semi-sacred brand like Balenciaga, now that its designer, Nicolas Ghesquiere, has fully reinvented the house. “We believe the brand can grow fast for quite some time,” Mr. Polet said.

Still, there are signs of fraying nerves. One reason is plain. “Business is tough,” said Bryan Bradley, the designer of Tuleh, an independent company in New York. “I just don’t think women are in a mood to splurge and buy expensive things.” Besides, he added: “There are a lot of good clothes out there. Go to Zara, APC.”

Fashion, once a cartel of practical imperatives — this shoe! that hemline! — has had to accept a lesser role in women’s lives, as a kind of girlfriend-procurer of style tips and celebrity news. “We’ve lost our power,” said David Wolfe, the creative director of the Doneger Group, which forecasts trends for stores like Nordstrom. “I can’t remember the last time I saw someone on the street and thought, ‘Oh, you’re hopelessly out of style.’ Everything is equal.”

Even the number of students in design schools does not necessarily signal a wave of creative talent. “If every fashion school graduated one talented person each year,” Mr. Bradley said, “I don’t think there’s room even for them in the business.”

Given this reality, maybe design schools should think about offering a separate career track, with classes in the study of demographics, shopping patterns and store leasing. You could have an internship at Star magazine, observing the editors’ choices or as Paris Hilton’s assistant. True, you won’t get a seat at the Costume Institute gala — well, you might — but at least this approach reflects something contemporary and actual.

Considering the almost promiscuous views we have had into the lives of designers, and the assumption that such publicity helps to sell clothes, it was surprising that several chief executives expressed concern about the high salaries being paid to designers. The inference was that the practice — in Europe, some salaries are in excess of 2 million euros a year — has soured things.

“I think it’s a big issue,” said Robert Duffy, the president of Marc Jacobs, pointing out that when he and Mr. Jacobs first began to work with LVMH, in the late 1990’s, they purposely did not seek a large salary. “We felt we had to prove ourselves.” He suggests the celebrity of fashion, especially in the 90’s, may have created unreasonable expectations. As he put it, “You can’t be a niche designer and still do expensive shows, and get the big salary, and hire the big stylists.”

The audience for fashion is real. “The public loves designers right now,” Mr. Duffy said. But like many creative fields, fashion faces the challenge of how to be not just exciting but also meaningful. “You need to have some conscience, because people are going to get bored,” Mr. Adrover said by phone from Majorca, where he runs a cafe. For a few years in New York, Mr. Adrover challenged the conventional thinking that avant-garde fashion could be found only in Europe. He was also one of the few designers anywhere who addressed cultural diversity. “From the outside, I can tell you fashion doesn’t look that interesting,” he said. “It’s all related to business, and ad campaigns and parties. It’s not related to the world.”

Actually, it just may relate to the world, but with issues like diversity and technologically smart clothes largely ignored, designers will have to decide if it’s the world they want.

this is very arbitrary observation!
i appreciate this media but all here sounds very ideologic..
darwin theory...what about darwin theory..master and slave,propagation,multiplication..what!

this the very product of the marxist substance commodity fetishism...and because of postmodernism the commodity fetishism is commodity itself!

tom furd ruined fashion....
sex....anthropologigal constant ....nature...

let this girl go nude on stage it will be also sex,don't you!
jil i love but jil represent one and same -german concept of discipline..some Wagner..not Bizet....

I don't care for Rochas...
i don't believe fashion is a object of creativity!
and if it is Tom ford dosn't represent this..he is a propre ,plastic immitator....
constattation that fashin is in our life as never before is correct but this prove nothing...
if we go back to 76-89 period we will see more fashion than ever..
today we got on every corner zara,morgan,diesel-but is this fashion...
levi's is this fashion,for got sake!

I hate this arbitrary tone...
what this woman wants to prove!

if valentino had loose $80 mln this didn't mean that fashion is in our life!

see for example Et Dieu Crea la femme -film plain with fashion..Blow -Up,too...
is this sights more fascinating than Tom's ..yes..definetelly!

talent is to be multitalented..some kind of multidisciplinary...

the paragon here is Cardin,Yves Saint Lorain,Hedi Slimane ,raf Simons...

Deus ex machina.....they are philosophers...tom Ford is just an insect...
parasite!

I will be not crying for tom,oliver theiskens and other...
helmut was very midle designer at all...nothing more than allessandro del acqua,renzo ...

may be the only person that miss is jil...but she made this decision..she leaved fashion,not fashion her!

what we have to do...to be agree with fact that gucci group had to pay million of backs to dom/tom just because they had done what usually expect from creative directors-to create...what -to proclaim them as god...
in fact they didn't work under Hi virus cell remedy anti virus!...tom just follows the line of the nature ...the line of women's legs,brusts,shoulders...and cut fabrics! he didn't invent...
Wagnerism...fake tragedism in all this text!

I not entirely sure, but I think I agree with Whimsicalist. :wink: This article is nothing more than an exercise in idle speculation; I think CH just wrote it to filll a quota or something. There is really no point in comparing Tom Ford (who quit because he wanted more money) to Helmut and Jil (who quit because they couldn't stand the management) to Phoebe Philo (who quit because she wanted more personal time) to Theyskens (who was fired) to Miguel Adrover (who went bust), and from thence to predict the end of creativity in fashion. It's just meaningless.

I was pretty surprised to hear that Adrover now runs a café, though. :blink:

For as many years as Hedi Slimane has been the men's designer at Dior — and the company's chief executive Sidney Toledano said Tuesday night that contract renewal talks with Mr. Slimane have stalled — he should have evolved beyond twig-thin adolescents in jeans sliding off their backsides. If it were possible to find more girlish models (with ironed Dutch-boy haircuts), it's hard to think where. Hey, at the couture shows, which began Wednesday!

Mr. Slimane seemed intent on making a statement about the skinny silhouette, as though it were his final word. The collection had some strong pieces, including tunics in skimmy jersey and taut safari jackets in khaki cotton and black leather. But it betrayed an incapacity to be open to change, which is fatal in fashion.

said by her for hedi....

totally disoriented..living in sofia might been more propre place for trompe loeil than NYtimes huge budjets of observers

i am interested what she wrote about ann demeulmeester!

i am very soupcon when someone do not follow Ockham's razor...
creativity must be fashion or fashion of creativity!

or it is not let us evaluate fashion ,care ,creativity in the 3 different paradigmes...we can reduce here 3 of them to the Kant's 3 critics...

fashion -I chapter of kant's I crutic
care--practical reason
creativity bot of them plus third critic...what i could made to believe?=create....

the very couterproductive approact to took 3 different concepts from 3 different paradigmes and then to seek their croos point that decrease the "strenght' of concept is very anti ockham

the very article is uncreative but pretend to learn what had happen with creative processuses.

leave paradigmes behind madame,let syntagmes works,produce!

i read droogist and i feel that many people are more independent to reflect freely than NYT journalists ...may be there is is care because of geopolitic..tom is US man....I don't know the point but this is ideologic statements...
if want to analyze fashion,please analyze it in strictly fashion cathegories.

may be Droogist
think CH just wrote it to filll a quota or something.
got reason..but I am not familiar with writes of her..
usually i don't read jornalist's articles..a scrut collections on wgsn and prefer to read Heidegger ,adorno,Proust ,see films-Comformist 120 days of S.
and to do trompe l'oeil...

first fashion items are fonds then texts and critics ,metaphisic take it place...

you can not only learn but feel the collection,...to concomitate it!

I was expecting things like "nobody cares about talents anymore" from the title of the art., which, I think is not true.

I did hope for the some conclusions indeed, bc in the middle of the art. it sounds like "somebody just don't go to work":-P

But the conclusion is like "there is not enough work for everybody". Which is true, and we don't need TF, HL, JS and Philo to get to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
and finelly I would like to ask
the author what she mean intruding name of darwin
me as an post marxist ,,for me it is very impossible to think
the couple master -slave far from the notions like evolutionary,evolve,production,creation,multiplication..
in fact,the
last sentence that there is no work for all is in the spirit of what i am saing now...

i got no work...I live in bulgaria....but the world is free ...

for production...nobody constrain my organon of thinking to be in Gucci group to think or to create!

may be it was not so clear..

if i don't belong to Gucci or prada if i got some creative potential i could exercise it!

why Tom don't come in bulgaria..he will be accepted in Capaska.
or in coumpany Jeni (of the grand doughter of dictateur Jhivkov)

and then he could fascinate again the world!
come tom, red bourjois are hungry for labels!and splendid names!

-I do agree that fashion is taking a turn for the worst with designers who don't have that much talent or who create copies of the same dribble every year.
-I'm sick of celebrities dictating fashion we need to steal the spot light from them and control fashion again. People with true style who belive in fashion not the norm should rule again.
-I also think that with all the financial problems of creative control and money at the old fashion houses. This should prompt alot of designers to strike out on their own and get backing that will give them the freedom they want.
-I want to harken back to the days when most pf the desing houses were self owned. And Not by the corporations.

I agree with Droogist--this is extremely arbitrary. It doesn't make sense to compare designers who have left the industry under such diverse circumstances.

This seems to be Cathy Horne's thing--prophecying "the end" etc.

And Whimsicalist, I also would love to hear what she has to say about Ann Dem...especially given the article that was just published about her in NYT magazine last week!

It seems contradictory for an article like this to focus exclusivley on big, "corporate" designers, when there is so much other talent and skill--established and not-- to consider. But maybe this represents a certain brand of journalism.

This seems like a particularly american way of interpreting things...:innocent:

She makes interesting observations overall. The magic of fashion in the 90s, of older brands snatching up younger talents has created the issues and problems that exist now and that could only get worse if the market keeps changing. It became all about the label and all about the It-Bag and no one seemed to bat an eye; designers seemed only too happy to develop other brands instead of developing their own and gaining a foot hold in the market. I love Chanel, Dior is great but they're both dead, gone, dust. And who is going to come in their wake? Why shouldn't those brands just fade away to make room for designers who have something to say about their times instead of just filtering those ideas through a set of hallmarks for another house? This is only the tip of the iceberg and perhaps a condition of business over all, with take overs and shake downs and the like...but what if Tom Ford had done all that work for his own house instead of doing it for Gucci and getting fired? Ricardo Tisci obviously had something strong developing and now that's toast. Could Hedi have done it without Dior? What will happen to Marc's house once he's gone, considering he sold 95% of it to LVMH? Would they make an effort to keep the house going?

you got the rsponce of the "creative" problem in
words that was sousign your posts of raf-am i right he said this before a girl in Details magazine..
Repetition...is the nest where the difference is born and grown...
and everybody had heard about this evolution theory of the apting-the social insects or this individs that going to care the eggs of other bird..some stupid mind they do oparallel with human philanthropy...the parallel is arbitrarry..

but only the modus of REPETER gives front for difference...difference in itself...
what design had to elaborate is how to be diiference in itself -becaus e there is menace to be mixed with style-architecture,photography...

someone had state -the place of dior homme is on magazine and catwalk not on streets...
I am askin why so....

hadi just rehab some paragons that was on streets...
is there some shame to be overdesigned in the same time when we cry that design manque

as bulgarian i am interested how much this article is payd,because i wrote an 4 pages article on topic When is fashion -Fashion is now(deleuzianized text) they offerd me 20 euro..i refused to give....better to post in forum than to
be valued on 20 euro..this one underwear...
if the mid of march and april i had post a thread about the mimesis (immitation and similarity and all the collections for ex capes..and many other similtaniuosly appeared elements. it was related about this article..it was refused by life style magzine as overdosing (in fact i sow similary text in l'Uomo Vogue February)and it was interest by..do not laugh-a feminism,gender study magazine...shame for fashion to be placed and lay out-ed in such places..this not shiTology at TETU...so i am inetersted

other thing

a very strange reaction -there was such song title....
once i was in correspondence with a ex prod of worldwide TV format (FTV ...OK I 'll keep the name..
and I wrote such metaphisic treads on fashion in my letter it was intelligent woman..

but once she said to..
see,ju, this just a bizz,why you are so fascinated..

a cross fire..
in one side all magazines ,ADs they fight for our infatuation,devotion..
but when I made a machine to do this,far from every payment about this they refused me this pleasure..but you can be fascinate by Dior homme if buy from us..if you send sms during the tv format...

how I could believe now when this person burn candles on the grave of talented people in this condition!

fascination always had been a trick,illusion...
I do not like that..I feel it as a phenomenology(voice and phenomenon-derrida on husserl)..as an object,materially,flew object,as affect in sens of Deleuze

I could feel cathy horyn's burning passion when i was reading this article!:lol:
but seriously..i think it's so good.

i'm convinced she just got fed up with the way the industry has been coming along in the past couple of seasons. she couldn't be more right...."fashion" has never been more mainstream, those designers do change the way we dress
she took the words RIGHT out of my mouth!
man, i'd like to have lunch with that woman..! :heart:

I agree with birdofparadise and pastry, Cathy has a point with this. There used to be a time in the glory days of couture that women waited anxiously to be dressed in the vision of young designers. It was in this time that Balenciaga, Dior, and Chanel reached their heights. Women didn't need anything to coax them into the clothes other than expert craft and a flawless design. Labels didn't connote ideas of luxury and materiality but of genius and expert consideration. The legacy left behind those names now sell plastic Chanel earrings, canvas Dior Bags, etc. And it is no longer the designers who create for the consumers, they are now merely trying to distill whatever they can from consumer culture and sell it back to them. It's completely regressive.

Rather than a reputation for quality and vision to sell clothes it now takes a huge marketing budget and brutish pop culture appeal. Look at Abercrombie, all of the celebrity lines, the premium denim fad. These things have no inherent value other than what is being fabricated by consumers who wish to buy into something (and just about anything) and the people who are more than willing to sell it to them.

This isn't a surpise though, I've said it before on the board but you all really should read "The End of Fashion" by Terri Agins. It explains why all of this is happening and gives good insight of various case studies to help reveal its history.

^ funy you should say that..
i was just thinking about your posts, and how you always mention the book.
that book is stuck in my mind...i think they sell it on amazon, and i'm planning on getting it.

hah hah, ok. This dead horse has gotten enough beatings. I've finally got one TFS'er to pick it up so someone else here will know what I'm talking about.

I enjoy every word from this article, she took all the words out of my mouth! Now, women just buy clothes because it's designer, it shows off how much money she can efford to spent on clothes, how "in" she is, instead of anything inherent, no any personal style at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
the owners of tFS showd be ready to issued a book..
the geostrategy of style ,taste and fashion!

obviously the Europe should be against every america different from N.Y..

I never could imagine L.A or Texas influenced by something different by Gladiator Trojah, and tom ford.
in europe we already sow such experiments in Moschino ,in Fendi (men)
to syntesise the paragon of Dandy with those of cowboy...

in fact isn't this dock holiday from Tumbstown-romantic shaped cowbow,dandy with revolvers.

I am afraid that between this strategies of policies,markets,taste will be only seeming mutual places ,but they are arbitrary and random coincidencies.

see warsaw and sofia the new europa how now must to take as Zeus europe on his back in noce bag and to put it fashion with parashout in the middle of Dior Homme studio..
i heard that Hedi itself spend times in warsaw,kiew...easter...few years ago it was Berlin,now it will be eastern europe..not so huge as marken but many time interesting than dull places as l.A,Florida,Las Vegas..oh it is very boring procedure to count and name this places

i will be ask everone in this forum
to mention me one designer that comes from L.A...even USA(I will leave outside mark jacobs/ the names that means fashion

fashion means
burbery,balenciaga
YSL,Prada,Fendi,Ann,Raf Hedi,margiela,Lanvin,Hermes,
sory if i miss some essential label or designer!

i don't want to hear from such one time shuted animals from America who is fashion or who the f. is dead horse...
because with every sentence that requires objectivity I only should aim twice to once dead animal..to kill an animal twice is bad taste..No Fashion

dead Horse is fashion,desole!

and put the author of this article inside...

i only could believe that you are little bit sophisticated to mark a delicat difference between dead and blowed off,knoked down,pissed off,write out ...
dead is aestetic..aestetic of shoot off ,to blow out is old,very old fashion..his name is q.tarantino...

i will be happy if you make some efforts and to see the very offficial division of world
paralel 42 places(including korea,japan,hong kong,paris,n.y,warsaw,brussels,antwerpen and the rest part
by the way sofia even such dark place is on 42 nd paralel.

name please one fashion name from L.A.,S.Frcs.(california)
or texas,or florida..this states are huge as one european country and i guess economically as strenght-but no fashion there

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sicilyscherrybomb
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->